10 April 2019

#WIPWednesday

I revisited my family history memoir WIP this week. I also thought up a new idea for a collection of biographical short stories based on the lives of my ancestors.

I know.

Believe me, I know.

First, I say I am writing a family history memoir. Then, I end up working on a children's book manuscript. Then, I try to pick up the family history memoir again. Then, I put that on hiatus as I begin drafting a speculative fiction novel. Now, here I am saying I'm revisiting the family history memoir again, and I've come up with yet another idea!

And, in the middle of it all, I am writing personal essays and poems and even throwing in the occasional flash fiction story.

Here's the thing: All of these projects are important to me; each speaks to a different facet of my personality and utilizes a different style of writing.

The family history memoir (as well as the new idea) is creative non-fiction. It is akin to the personal essays I am most comfortable writing but instead of sharing my story, I am trying to share the stories of others. It requires research into actual people, places, and events. It is investigative and highly satisfying to work on when I am in that mind-space.

The children's book was born of a poem. I often have the desire, the urge, to write poetry. This was just the first time I felt the poem had the potential to be something more.

The speculative fiction novel is the most challenging for me. I have the least experience with writing fiction. Unlike my the family history memoir, where I am researching historical facts, unlike my personal essays, where I am sharing my truths and first-hand accounts, and unlike my poetry which flows from my feelings and emotions – with fiction I need to imagine and create every detail of an entire world. I love the world I've drempt up and I want so badly to do it justice and be able to share it one day, but I easily get caught-up in self-doubt. I often find myself not in the right state-of-mind to imagine and instead crave facts.

The longer I am pursuing writing as an occupation, the more I am recognizing my own patterns – my strengths and weaknesses.

While it certainly would be more efficient for me to pick one project and see it through to completion, that style doesn't work for me. Just as I know I could never confine myself to a niche or stick to one genre.

I need the mental breaks. I need the satisfaction of quick turn-around pieces like essays and poems. I need the challenges of research and world-building. And I need them all mixed up so that when one project starts to feel stale, I can have the thrill of switching to another. And I can keep doing this until each project is done.

It will take so much longer this way, but I will enjoy it more. And I am fortunate enough to be able to pursue the writing that I find most enjoyable and satisfying. So, why shouldn't I?

I think this newfound realization and approach will serve me well and free me from some of the guilt I feel when project-hopping.

In other progress this week...

Filter Free Parents syndicated one of my essays this week; it was my first on the new site since Perfection Pending and That's Inappropriate their combined contributor platforms. I'm grateful to have a piece run with them again.

I also had my very first essay syndicated again, this time on Her View From Home. It is my first piece on HVFH and I am happy to be able to add them to the list of sites I've been published on.

I finished that 1,500 word essay I mentioned last week and published it on Medium. It was curated by the Medium editors onto their "Parenting" page, which means it will get much more exposure. Parenting seemed an odd choice, but I believe pregnancy and childbirth must fall under that category.

I queried two more pieces for syndication, this week.

And I received my first paper rejection letter for my children's book manuscript. As well as another silent rejection by way of the stated time window elapsing. I am down to just two pending queries for the manuscript and need to decide to either submit to more children's book publishers or to try children's magazines which feature poetry. I am leaning towards giving magazines a try.