21 March 2018

Writer and Author

I know the title of this blog is, I May Never Write A Book, but that is exactly what I am currently trying to do.

When I first started this blog, it was for the sake of one post titled, I May Never Write A Book, in which I shared how I had always envisioned myself writing books but that I had no desire to attempt it and, instead, had stumbled upon the chance to have an article published on Scary Mommy. That was nearly 2 years ago.

I took a long hiatus but came back to writing at the beginning of this year, thinking But Maybe I Will write a book.

And, actually, I did write a book. My very first book was not one I had been intending to write. A line came to me out-of-the-blue and I felt the need to see it through. I crafted what turned out to be a poem that, as I read it, I very clearly envisioned as a beautifully illustrated picture book. And so, I forged my way through the process of editing, gathering feedback from beta readers, revising, formatting, researching publishers, and then, I sent off my very first manuscript for consideration and began Waiting For Rejection.

Before that line came to me and ignited the fascinating process by which this poem, this story, this picture book, took shape, I had been tossing around a few other ideas that stemmed from my family history research. None were picture books nor poetry – all were either historical fiction or non-fiction chapter books or short story collections.

I continued to toss around those other book ideas in my mind until it became clear which story I had the most desire to tell. I then began my first attempt at writing a non-fiction family history memoir. I am currently working on the first draft and expect this to be a very long process of writing and researching – my husband thinks three years is a reasonable estimate.

Three years sounds daunting. Perhaps I May Never Write A Book should now be I May Never Write *This* Book. I am determined to see this book through to completion, though, however long it takes.

Edit October 2018: I have decided to pursue a novel idea, putting the family history memoir on hiatus. I am determined to finish both of these books, however long it takes.

In the meantime, I find it satisfying to work on shorter pieces that have a quicker turn-around. I continue to send queries as a freelance writer and to write personal essays and blog posts which I self-publish on various platforms. I even have another picture book story in mind, now.

I will keep I May Never Write A Book as my blog title to remind me of how far I've come. And I hope it will encourage fellow writers to continue on their own writing journeys as they follow along with me on mine.