07 March 2018

Ready To Take On Another Day

Yesterday was reaffirming – like a breath of fresh air just when I was beginning to choke on the stale, heavy atmosphere of self-doubt.

I was getting discouraged. I felt like I was doing the whole social-media-as-a-writer thing wrong. I was stuck on editing a small, personal piece and my anxieties about sharing so much of myself through my writings were inflamed. I was questioning everything about my book and doubting my ability to tell the story. I began to fear I had made a mistake by so publicly declaring my intentions to be a writer – I would end up looking like a failure and fraud.

But then, the #amwriting community was spreading encouragement to fellow writers. A friend helped me work through my editing. My husband patiently listened as I vented about my book writing woes. My family history mentor messaged me with an amazing discovery that directly impacts my book (if I ever do finish writing it, she gets a shoutout in the acknowledgments, for sure)! And, then, I noticed that TODAY Parents had shared my piece from their “Romance After Kids“ challenge!

I ended the day feeling invigorated and ready to take on another day as a writer.

I can do this.