22 January 2019

Finally, Facebook Granted My Page Name Change

On Friday, I made this post on Facebook and crossed my fingers.



"First of all, THANK YOU! This page recently reached 400 “likes” and I appreciate each and every one.
Those of you who have been here the longest probably remember that back in April, I shared that I submitted a page name change request (https://www.facebook.com/WriterElizabethJoyce/posts/354519168377825).
Though my first essay was published in 2016, I didn’t actually start this Facebook page until January 2018, when I decided to pursue my writing career. At the time, I was unsure about what direction this page would take and ended up naming it “I May Never Write A Book” after my blog where I write about writing. It quickly became clear that I should have named the page to promote myself as a writer, not my inconsequential side-blog.
By March, I was sure I needed to make some changes with how I was presenting myself as a writer (https://imayneverwriteabook.blogspot.com/2018/03/presenting-myself.html). One of which was to change the name of this Facebook page to "Writer Elizabeth Joyce." This would better represent that the page is a place where I share all my writings, as well as posts related to topics I write about, and it would create more consistency with my social media handles.
Unfortunately, my page name request got stuck in some sort of glitch (https://imayneverwriteabook.blogspot.com/2018/05/is-this-sign.html). It wasn’t approved nor denied – it simply sat at “pending” for months on end. I’ve been trying tirelessly to get page support from Facebook to fix the issue. It looks like something finally worked!
Earlier today, I received a notice that my page name request was denied. This may sound like bad news, but I was actually thrilled. Finally receiving a denial means that the request is no longer stuck in “pending” purgatory. And, it allowed me to appeal the denial.
Part of the appeal process is to publish a post to my page followers to make them aware of the possible page name change. So, it is with fingers crossed that I am posting this and hoping the appeal process moves forward in a timely manner.
I sincerely hope you all stick around, regardless of the page name. You being here is such an encouragement to me. Thank you for all the support over this past year. I am looking forward to continuing this journey with you."

I felt hopeful but leary and weary of the process. Something that is a few simple clicks for most people had inexplicably turned into a near 10-month-long quest for me to get Facebook page support (which was feeling impossible by this point).

So, I am not exaggerating when I say that I was absolutely thrilled (and relieved) when I received a notice this morning saying the my page name request had been granted.

Thank goodness!