17 October 2018

#WIPWednesday

Remember that story idea I dreamt up, probably as a coping mechanism to distract myself from current events? Well. I decided, even though the genre is well outside my writing comfort zone, I want to give it a shot.

This means my family history memoir is going to be pushed to the back-burner. Actually, let’s be honest, it had already been pushed to the back-burner, not because I had another big project to work on but because I wasn’t making it a priority. I still have a desire to tell that story. I will get it written, one day.

But, this new utopian world has captured my passion – I find the story occupying my thoughts day and night. For weeks, I have imagined, brainstormed, and researched. I have pages of notes.

Now, I am taking the next step.

I created a new project file to begin drafting and I even set goals for myself to see the project though (hopefully in a timely manner). Though I am not sharing those goals here for fear of feeling like a failure if I fall short.

The top of my weekly To Do List now reads: WRITE EVERY DAY. You’d think, as a writer, this would be a given, but you’d be surprised how often writing is pushed so far down my list that it doesn’t happen at all. I can’t keep allowing that to happen. I need to make writing a priority if I want to accomplish my goals.

I have also decided to start a weekly #WIPWednesday post to share what I have been up to with all my current works-in-progress, as well as to keep myself accountable.

Not only accountable, but encouraged, as well.

I easily get overwhelmed. I fixate on how much I have to do until it seems a huge and impossible undertaking. This is true of everything in my life, not just writing. I don't recognize how much progress I am making unless I take a moment to inventory my accomplishments.

A weekly check-in should keep me on track.

I know where I want this to end up, but I have no idea what the journey will be like to get there. I do hope you'll follow along with me as I find my way.