05 February 2018

I Am A Writer

It was about three weeks ago when I decided I wanted to start writing more. I had been thinking to myself, "I'd love to be able to call myself a writer. That's what I want to do. I should just do it."

Still, I felt unsure as I brought it up to my husband. Is it just a waste of time? What if I never get anything else published? I probably won't make any money from it.

"I want you to write," he said. "I told you that before."

He had told me that before, but it was lost in the noise, drowned out by my own self-doubt, and forgotten. His words, his sincere tone, were just what I needed to hear – that he would not think it frivolous of me to pursue writing more. He genuinely supports me (and that is just one of a plethora of reasons I love him so).

I was simply exhilarated as I threw myself into it. You know the feeling when you are so excited and passionate about something that you completely immerse yourself. I was practically fangirling about writing.

I wrote pages of story ideas and notes. I researched. I read. I wrote some more. I researched some more.

I decided to branch out out with my pitch to become a KidTripster contributor. That success further incited my enthusiasm.

I made it official – taking my headshot portrait, building my Facebook page, linking, liking, trying to establish a (small) social media presence.

I sent off two idea pitches; one was rejected, the other has a 6-8 month response window.

I wrote two more pieces. One is in its second draft; I plan to get the final draft done this week. The other is finished; I pitched it to five different outlets and received a response from one within 24 hours that they were interested in publishing it! It should go live tomorrow evening. I am giddy, I tell you. Giddy!

Writing it all out, I realize how much I have done in just three weeks. It never felt like work. It was exactly what I wanted to be doing. I have no delusions that I can keep up this pace indefinitely, but now I have confirmation that it can be done. I can do it.

And now, if someone asks what I do, I confidently say, "I'm a writer."